May 4, 2014

Mr Z's 2014 Courses to Play List

The never ending chill that has swallowed Chicago in 2014 has seriously curbed my early season rounds, as I've carded only 36 holes as we enter May.  In comparison, last year at this time I had 99 recorded!  OK, I played 3 rounds while visiting friends in Dallas last April to boost the total, but the point is, it's been a cold start to the  2014 golf season in the Windy City, and I have a long way to go to achieve my annual goal of 1,000 holes (I made it to 827 in 2013). 

So as every goal needs a plan, here is my annual baker's dozen list of courses that I'm targeting this year, along with the 4 (Deerfield, Mistwood, Shepherd's Crook, Willow Crest) left over from 2013.  Some I've never played, and others are nostalgic parts of my golfing life that I'd like to revisit, and I'll make the effort to tee it up at the following courses:

Bittersweet (Gurnee / Far North) - I played the front nine at Bittersweet many years ago in a small outing organized by a cousin who lived beside the 9th fairway, and I remember a challenging course winding through the north suburban sub-division.  I've heard that new ownership and management has made the experience a bit more player friendly, which is enough to entice this 20 handicapper to visit...

Cinder Ridge (Wilmington / Far Southwest) - Designed by owner George Kappos and opened in 1995, this is country golf with a flair for the dramatic, as the elevation changes created by an old strip mine and the 16th green suspended high above a water hazard are pretty cool.  Very Affordable rates makes the drive down I-55 to the fringes of the Windy City worthwhile.

Cog Hill #4 (Lemont / Southwest) - The frugal golfer in me swallows hard when I see triple figure green fees, but I'll gladly fork over a Ben Franklin for one of the new 4 pm twilight times (already booked for late June!) to play the course that Tiger and Phil prowled for years on the PGA tour.

Downers Grove (Near West) - Historic course first opened in 1892 as the original home of the Chicago Golf Club, and of the 9 holes left, several still follow the original routing at the current Downers Grove Park District layout.

George Dunne (Oak Forest / South) - I was one of the guys back in the '80's sitting in his car along Central Avenue at 2 in the morning, waiting for the gates to open to reserve a tee time for that day at the old Forest Preserve National.  Those days are long gone, but the course is still a prime play, as signified by being named to host a U.S. Open Local Qualifier in early May.

Glenwoodie (Glenwood / Far South) - The 16th hole at Glenwoodie is often cited as one of the hardest in the area, and the course, which dates back to before WW2, features bentgrass fairways, thousands of mature hardwoods, and a new clubhouse, too.  I've played here many times previously, but am overdue for a return visit...

Marquette Park (Chicago / South) - I remember riding the bus with clubs in tow down Kedzie Avenue from my boyhood home in Oak Lawn for a round at this Chicago Park District course.  I have visions of a 36 hole odyssey with Sidney Marovitz and Jackson Park in the mix in 2014...

Randall Oaks (West Dundee / Far Northwest) - This Dundee Township Park District course was recommended to me by a reliable source, and the website paints a pretty picture, so I'll attempt my inaugural visit this year.  The 16th hole is currently under construction, so this may be a round for later in the season.

Ravisloe (Homewood / South) - This very old, formerly private club was refurbished by the esteemed Donald Ross 100 years ago, and more recently by David Esler in 2001, and the signature Ross bunkers fringed with thick grass have returned. My one round several years prior was memorable enough to warrant a return, and the classic mission style clubhouse is an added bonus...

St. Andrew's (West Chicago / Far West) - The two 18 hole courses along Route 59 are owned by the Jemsek family, which normally ensures a high level of quality and service.  I've played here before, maybe 20 years ago, but I don't even recall which course I played!  Time for a reboot...

Stonewall Orchard (Grayslake / Far North) - One of the two local courses designed by highly regarded architect Arthur Hills, I'm looking to take advantage of the inviting "55 and over" Senior rate on weekday mornings to shave some dollars off the regular green fees at this upscale facility.

Traditions at Chevy Chase (Wheeling / North) - One of the many Tom Bendelow local designs from the 1920's, Chevy Chase was extensively renovated by Bob Lohmann in 2002.  I have an unused Group Golfer purchase left from last year, so I better use it before I lose it!

Whisper Creek (Huntley / Far Northwest) - Self-described as "Links Style with a Prairie Feel", Whisper Creek winds through the Sun City complex in Huntley.  Architect Greg Nash teamed with Billy Casper to design the layout, which is certified as a Cooperative Sanctuary by Audubon International.

Please feel free to share your favorites in the comments section below, and here's hoping you get to play all the courses on your 2014 wish list.  Have a great season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z