Jan 18, 2014

Village of Homer Glen Purchases Woodbine

When it opened 25 years ago, I was a frequent visitor to Woodbine, the par 70 course in southwest suburban Homer Glen.  The 6,000 yard layout always had a problem with spacing, as the 18 holes only cover a little over 100 acres, but the bent grass tees, fairways and greens were in excellent shape, and although the overall design may have lacked any "wow" holes, it was fresh and new and always a place were you might post a low score and feel good about your game.

As more courses were built in the area (Broken Arrow, Sanctuary), and others resuscitated (Big Run, Old Oak), Woodbine gradually fell off my golfing radar and I rarely visited.  The last few years I've attended a golf outing there, and the course had not aged well.  The overall conditions felt ragged (particularly the bunkers), and in general it was in need of a major facelift, and although the trees that were planted years ago on the corn field turned golf course had matured to the point that they added some hole definition and aesthetics, in my opinion it was still a step or two below the local competition.

So although my disdain for Woodbine was not a secret (as my course review on this website clearly indicated) I still felt a hint of sadness when I heard the news that the course had been sold to the Village of Homer Glen.  I know several people who were regulars at Woodbine and enjoyed the layout, and the lodge style clubhouse was always a great place to grab a bite to eat after a round (plus the Sunday brunch was excellent, too).  Could an influx of cash for updating and some creative redesign provided a winning golf experience?  The amateur golf architect in me thinks "yes", but the perfect marriage of the owners wanting out and the young village needing a central location for a Town Hall and open space occured, so I guess we'll never know. 


The course will be in operation through the 2014 season before the Village officially takes control, so if you're a fan, there is still time to get in a few rounds before Woodbine no longer exists.  My thoughts harken back to a long departed facility from my youth, the 36 holes at the old Westgate CC on Ridgeland and 135th Street, courses like Woodbine that catered to beginners and moderately skilled golfers, but where Westgate was transformed into a real estate development, Woodbine will be repurposed with the intent of benefitting the residents of Homer Glen with parks and open space, an infinitely better use in my world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z