Feb 1, 2010

Phillips Park Golf Course - Aurora

I played Phillips Park in Aurora for the 1st time last year, and my expectations were admittedly low, but I was totally surprised by the quality of the layout and the conditioning of the course. There are some big boy holes out here! The course is only about 6200 yards from the back tees, so there are some shorter par 4's and 5's, but the par 3's (especially on the back nine) are challenges.

The front 9 is a little more open with a "linksy" feel to it, while the back nine is more heavily wooded and is very hilly, make sure you are in shape if you decide to walk! The first hole that caught my attention (probably because I had a 9 on it) is the 6th, a par 4 with a blind tee shot up a hill, to a steeply elevated green surrounded by trees. Oh, and there is a pond on the left side of the fairway over the hill that could come into play off the tee for big hitters. And the 9th hole is a par 5th cut through the trees with a sharp dogleg left, a really pretty hole off the tee.

The back nine is full of memorable holes. The 12th is a long par 3 to a huge bowl shaped elevated green, the 15th is a par 5 which winds through the trees to another elevated green, and 16 is a long par 4 up a hill to a putting surface that is guarded by several bunkers. And 18 is a good risk/reward finisher, a shorter par 5 that can definitely be reached in 2, but you have to contend with a pond to the right/front of the green.

The best part of golf at Phillips Park is that the top rate with cart is $49, and there are very few courses of this quality under $50 in Chicago. Heck, the view from the parking lot of the 15th, 16th and 18th holes is worth the trip! Although it is a bit of a drive from Lemont, this course will definitely be in my course rotation for a long time.

Mr Z Rating
Layout - 7
Playability - 8
Conditioning - 7
Aesthetics -7
Amenities -7
Value - 9

Total Score - 76

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z