Feb 2, 2010

Heritage Bluffs Golf Club - Channahon

Heritage Bluffs (www.heritagebluffs.com) is one of my favorite courses in the Chicagoland area. The course has a mixture of different types of holes, from links style (#1, 9, 11) to classic parkland (#6, 7, 10), but almost every hole is memorable in its own way. Several holes standout, starting with #2, a par 4 from an elevated tee to a landing area with out of bounds left and thick woods / marsh right. The 3rd hole is a par 5 with a lake spanning the entire right side from 150 yards in to the green. #7 is a tight par 4 with a daunting approach shot guarded by a lake to the left of the green, and #10 starts the back nine off with a dogleg right par 4 with an approach to a steeply elevated green.

Arguably the best 2 holes on the course are #15, a dogleg right par 4 with a downhill approach to a green guarded by a huge trap and lake on the right, and #18, a par 4 with a tee shot high above the fairway between thick stands of trees, and a 2nd shot uphill to the green located in an amphitheatre surrounded by woods.

The course does have a few shortcomings. There is some significant distances between greens and tees on several holes which makes walking a bit of a chore, and the area between the 10th and 18th holes is very tight (lots of golf balls flying in the woods separating the holes). And the conditioning of the course has been spotty at times over the years. But overall, this is an outstanding layout at a very reasonable price, plus its easy to get to (1/4 mile from I-55 at the Bluff Rd.exit just south of I-80).

Mr Z rating
Layout - 9
Playability - 8
Conditioning - 7
Aesthetics - 8
Amenities - 7
Value - 9

Total Score - 81.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z