Sep 28, 2021

1 MINUTE READ - FOSS PARK



FOSS PARK
 BY THE NUMBERS

YARDAGE - 5 TEES - 6,683 / 4,584 PAR 72
SLOPE/RATING - 71.8/126 - 69.2/120 (MEN), 73.1/125 (WOMEN)
MAXIMUM GREEN FEES - $49 M-F, $55 SA-SU (W/CART) 



1 MINUTE READ

Foss Park is proof that there is good, affordable golf on the North shore.  The par 72 course is hidden behind a quiet North Chicago neighborhood on a spacious parcel of land just east of  Route 41. A variety of holes awaits,
with wide, receptive fairways mixed with tight drives on holes 4, 5, 13 & 14, which wind thru stands of mature hardwoods. Highlights include the 14th, at 436 yards from the tips the top challenge to par at Foss, as 2 near perfect shots are required to reach the green in regulation . A creek runs up the center of the property and comes into play on 9 holes, most memorably on the dogleg left par four 16th.   A drive placed to the right side of the fairway is needed to avoid a single, enormous tree that stands sentinel at the left edge of the turn.  Wayward approaches will likely be swatted into the hazard that cuts diagonally from left to right to the edge of the large, sloping green.

Conditions at Foss Park are acceptable as tees, fairways and greens were good, but some of the traps needed work, not an uncommon problem with courses of this age (Foss Park is approaching its 50th anniversary).  There is a driving range on site but it was closed on my latest trip, presumably due to Covid-19 related staffing issues, but I found the on site employees friendly and accommodating on both my visits this year. When you factor in top rates w/cart of $49 weekdays and $55 weekends, Foss Park is a strong value play.


LOST BALL QUOTIENT
 - Low to Medium.  The creek will gobble up a fair share of miss hits, but most shots off the fairway will be found.

HIT A HOUSE FACTOR - Nearly impossible.  I think there are homes behind the 1st and 10th greens, but the fact that I can't remember for sure tells you all you need to know.

WALKER FRIENDLY RATING (0-10) - 9.  The course has some gently rolling hills and a few elevated greens, but is devoid of any serious slope and the green to tee distance is manageable.


FINAL VERDICT
 - Foss Park has a good mix of playability and challenge that won't overwhelm the average golfer and will lend to a fun day, but from the tips will test better players.  The very reasonable green fees warrants a visit to North Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z