Jul 11, 2016

SMT EVENTS ADDS THE SPICE TO LOCAL GOLF OUTINGS

As I neared the 1st tee during the annual Knights of Columbus outing at Arrowhead GC, I heard a "thoomp" in the distance, a sound that I didn't recall hearing before at a golf course.  I soon discovered that the source was a golf ball being propelled 300+ yards toward the green by a cannon, a unique and pretty cool substitute for a driver on a tee shot. This and other event enhancements were provided by SMT Events & Fundraising.

The company is the brainchild of Mike Tait, who used his 38 years in the golf business to develop over 29 different games that an outing director can choose from to add some spice to their event.  "We know that many people who participate in golf outings are not skilled golfers, so we thought that if we could shake up the event a bit, add a few red pepper flakes to the basic sauce of an outing, we would help to capture the interest you want and need to support your cause," stated Tait, who founded SMT in 2009 and has helped local groups raise over $6 million. 

Though the golf ball cannon is the headliner, SMT offers a variety of on course games plus an array of scratch cards, which can range from a look-a-like golf scorecard with over 2 million scoring possibilities to a longest drive / closest to the pin card.  "The scratch cards are the top revenue generators for fundraisers," shared Tait.  "They are fun, different, and everyone can play and win."  Other cards include Bowling, Football, Texas Hold 'Em, and Fishing themes, and can be used for School Boosters, Church Groups or any organization trying to raise money.

Tait's history in golf is almost as diverse as the games SMT provides.  The Niles native played collegiate golf at DePaul, by which time he had already acquired his Class A PGA professional certification.  He worked as a club pro for 31 years at respected private clubs such as Exmoor, Butterfield and Ridge, along with a stint at the Naperville Park district course Springbrook. 

It was at Exmoor that an encounter with a member redirected the arc of his career path.  "One of the leading members had a rattle in his driver and he asked me to look at it.  When I told him I had to contact the manufacturer's rep, he grabbed another club out of the pro shop and walked out.  It was then that I decided to learn more about club making and design." 

After several years of selling copies of trademark brand clubs, Tait used his experience to design his own and started SMT Clubs in 2002, and success soon followed.  "My drivers were used by 2 of the 3 winners of the Remax Long Drive events that first year, and I've had over 300 wins around the world since." The club business is now run by an associate, and Mike's focus is centered on helping organizations and charities with their fundraising. 

"My mom had just passed away from cancer and my attitude changed.  I wanted to help others raise money for their causes, and that led to the start of SMT events," shared Tait. The growth has been steady since 2009, and Mike currently employs enough staff to handle up to 7 events in a day.  "We've had 122 events this month alone, I'm kinda freaking out," he joked when referencing a very busy June.

Besides the games, SMT will supply many of the prizes used in Silent Auctions and provide custom products including sponsor hole flags, poker chip ball markers, sun glasses, hats, etc. to personalize the event.  Online registration and a custom event website is also part of any event package, and "We also donate 2 Las Vegas vacations per event and $700 worth of potential gifts to every player as part of the package," added Tait, who received the Golf Business Innovator of the Year Award in 2011.

My first hand experience with the cannon: it was a blast (pun intended), and the scratch cards were equally fun (even though I didn't win).  I'm usually a golf purist and tend to frown at fund raising gimmicks like string and mulligans, but the K of C outing, thanks to the help of Mike and the staff at SMT, was one of the best run of the many I've participated in over the years.  "What we offer has everything to do with bringing fun to the event and most importantly, more funds to the fundraising, all in a way that is anything but ordinary."  Well said, Mike. 

To contact Mike and SMT Events & Fundraising, go to smtgolfoutings.com or call  888-693-4001.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z