Oct 29, 2013

Hilldale Golf Club - Hoffman Estates

I've often stolen a glimpse of the golf hole south of I-90 near the Barrington Road exit, so my curiosity finally led me to Hilldale Golf Club in Hoffman Estates.  This course has a pedigree - it's situated on a beautiful piece of property that was once the playground of Windy City retail magnate Marshall Field, and it was designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr., the only 18 hole layout in the Chicago area with the acclaimed architect's name attached.  Hilldale is spread out over a broad expanse from Higgins Road to the south and the Tollway to the north off Huntington Boulevard, with the clubhouse tucked back off the road, not the easiest place to find.  But it's worth the search, as you'll discover a well-conditioned track with a variety of holes and plenty of scenic eye candy provided by the elevated trees and greens.
Hilldale plays at a modest 6,400 yard par 71 from the tips, but it is far from easy, as the 72 rating / 138 slope would suggest.  Water and wetlands are present to varying degrees on 13 holes, numerous species of mature hardwoods and evergreens are in play, and the greens rolled smooth and slippery, no easy paths to the cup here.  I played the 5,930 yard White tees and was a solid (for a 20 handicapper) 8 over par on the first 3 and last 8 holes, but the 7 holes in between were a train wreck, low lighted by the 9 on the 10th hole (more on that disaster later). 
One of the best holes at Hilldale (and an early par on my scorecard) is the 546 yard 2nd.  The drive must be to the right to avoid the pond on the left that extends to 175 yards from the green, where more water begins on the opposite side up to the pin.  The next hole is a downhill par 4 with trees and OB left and water the last 125 yards to the right, with the elevated tee offering a bonus view overlooking the 6th and 2nd greens back down the 2nd fairway that is one of the best I've come across in the Windy City area.

I've always been a big fan of well-crafted risk/reward short par 4's, and the 5th and 15th holes both meet the criteria.  The 5th is a dogleg right with water the entire right side past the turn, and majestic willows guard access to the green, but an aggressive low handicapper may make a run at the pin off the elevated tee for a chance at eagle.  The 15th is all downhill thru a narrow chute between the trees, and the putting surface is surrounded by sand to discourage attempts to reach with the driver.  The 10th and 17th holes are at the opposite end of the par 4 spectrum, both 400+ yards and requiring carries over ponds on the 2nd shot (I made it on 10, not so lucky on 17).
The 11th hole is a deserving #1 handicap, the longest at Hilldale at 602 yards from the tips (and still a meaty 558 from the Whites).  The tee boxes are tucked back in the woods and the drive is tightly uphill, then it flattens out the last half with a creek fronting the wide, shallow green to create an intimidating approach.  The next four holes are on the north side of Hassell Road and includes the one parallel to the Interstate (the par five 14th), but the 191 yard par three 13th stood out, with a water hazard filled with giant lily pads lending a unique visual element to the right side of the deep, narrow putting surface.
Hilldale opened in 1970, and is beginning to show some signs of wear and tear, especially the bumpy asphalt cart paths (I nearly bounced my brother-in-law out a couple of times), and you will most likely need to use the carts (zippy electric ones) as the distance between a few holes (1-2, 8-9, 16-17) is significant as the course winds its way through the neighborhood.  The homes are, for the most part, a safe distance away, but the netting on the fences left of the 2nd green is a glaring indicator that those backyards may be a bit too snug to the course.  And as I was playing the last hole (a pretty, uphill par 4), I was hoping the clubhouse windows had unbreakable glass as it seemed a few steps too close to the left side of the fairway.
The greens were quick and heavily sloped in spots, and pins placed in certain locations can lead to miniature golf like spectacles, which brings me to my debacle on the 10th hole.  The cup was placed at the top of a ridge that dropped precipitously off to the right, and my weak 25 foot par putt from the fringe turned into a 35 foot bogey back up the grade.  After two tries returned down to my feet, I finally sailed one 10 feet past the hole, the slope scared me short on the comeback, and I tapped in for my 9.  The morale of the story - I need to work on my putting, and the course needs to be more aware of dicey pin placements.  I recovered to pencil in pars on half the remaining holes, including #11 (go figure!) to regain a bit of my golfing self-respect.
But the positives at Hilldale outweigh any negatives mentioned above.  The driving range is ideally located next to the 1st tee and there's a grill featuring burgers, hot dogs and sausages at the 10th tee, perfectly situated to cater to hungry golfers and keep the play flowing.  The 10 minute tee time intervals are a major plus in my golfing world, and when paired with green fees that max out at $64 w/cart on weekend mornings, weekday rates before noon from $50 (Fridays) to as low as $35 (Mondays-Tuesdays), plus afternoon tee times between $29-$39, provides an ultra-bargain for a course of this caliber. 

So if you're looking for a round that will make you think your way thru and use every club in your bag, and features good conditions, beautiful views and is easy on the pocketbook, and you can deal with a few rough edges, then Hilldale is definitely a course worth finding in the northwest suburbs.







Mr Z Rating

Layout (20%) - 7.5
Playability (20%) - 8
Conditioning (15%) - 8.5

Aesthetics (15%) - 8
Amenities (10%) - 7.5
Value (20%) - 9.5

Total Score - 82.25



Hilldale Golf Club
1625 Ardwick Drive, Hoffman Etates
847-310-1100  
www.hilldalegolf.com
18 holes, 4 tees - 6,417 / 5,081 par 71
72.0/138 - 67.6/128 rating/slope (men)

72.4/135 - 70.3/131 rating/slope (women)
In Season Rates
M-TU $35 w/c to Noon, $30 w/c to 3 pm, $25 w/c after 3;
W-TH $45 w/c to Noon, $35 w/c to 3 pm, $29 after 3;

F $50 w/c to Noon, $40 w/c to 3 pm, $30 w/c after 3;
SA-SU $64 w/c to Noon, $29 walk/39 ride to 3 pm, $29 w/c after 3Onsite Driving Range   10 minute tee time interval

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z