May 2, 2013

Mr Z 2013 Courses to Play List

It appears that "golf weather" is finally here to stay in the Windy City, so it's time to share my 2013 Courses to Play List.  Here's a baker's dozen worth of layouts that either I've never played but have a burning desire to, or are old favorites that I'm overdue for a visit.  Last year I made it to 8 of the 13 (although I only played one third of the 27 holes at Schaumburg), so here is a fresh group covering all corners of the Windy City map:
 
Mistwood (Romeoville / Southwest) - Major renovation at an already good track has received positive reviews.  Anxious to see if I can extricate myself from one of the menacing sod wall bunkers, which I'm sure I'll find...
 
Seven Bridges (Woodridge / West) - The 10th thru 12th holes (or is it 1st thru 3rd, they flip the nines every few years) are ones I love to hate, but there is no denying that there are plenty of other good ones here.  Opportunities abound to find a deal and avoid the $100+ greens fee.
 
Harborside (Chicago / South) - 36 hole pure links facility is as close to Scotland as you'll get around here.  Billy Casper Golf now manages and reduced spring / fall and twilight rates makes this a more affordable option for golfers on a budget.
 
Orchard Valley (Aurora / Far West) - Rated 4-1/2 stars by Golf Digest, OV remains a best bet in the far west 'burbs with imaginative bunkering and plenty of wetlands and water to challenge all skill levels.
 
Willow Crest (Oak Brook / Near West) - The par 70 Dick Nugent design at the Marriott resort is a great example of squeezing 18 holes into limited space without feeling cramped.  The six par threes are a blast...
 
Fox Run (Elk Grove / West) - I played Fox Run for the 1st time a few years ago, and I'm excited to see what architect Greg Martin (whose courses are among my favorites) has done to a park district course that was badly in need of a facelift.
 
Naperbrook / Springbrook (Naperville / Southwest) - The 2 Naperville park district courses are both solid layouts, with Naperbrook more links style and Springbrook traditional parkland.  Finding the right deal will be a challenge, but I'll make a return visit to one of them in 2013.
 
Deerfield (North) - Boasts "The Best Public Greens on the North Shore", so I need to find out for myself.  A friend who grew up playing here remembers it as a course worth visiting...
 
Prairie Isle (Prairie Grove / Northwest) - I had never heard of this course until recently, but the pictures on the website show enough eye candy to make me want to make the drive from Lemont...
 
Golf Club of Illinois (Algonquin / Northwest) - I played GCI once when it first opened a number of years ago, and the fescue equalled frustration for this 20 handicapper.  I've heard they've softened the challenge since, so I'll see if I can improve on the 62 I shot on the back nine...
 
Wedgewood / Inwood / Woodruff (Joliet / Far Southwest) - I've never played any of the 3 Joliet Park District courses, so I need to rectify that slight by catching one this summer.
 
Shepherd's Crook (Zion / Far North) - A stone's throw from the Wisconsin border, this prairie links layout may be a 36 hole day with Thunderhawk, a leftover from last years list...

Lincon Oaks (Crete / Far South) - The original Lincolnshire CC ladie's course, built in the 1920's by famed architect Tom Bendelow, is an early prototype of the sub-division routings so popular today.  Haven't played there under the new ownership, but this is an old favorite where I'm eager to tee it up...

If you have any other recommendations, please share in the comments section below, I'm always ready for a new golfing adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z