Mar 1, 2013

Windy City Golfers Flock to Local Shows

The Tinley Park and Chicago Golf Shows were held this past month, and if the large and enthusiastic crowds are any indication, 2013 could be a banner year for Windy City golf courses.

I attended the smaller of the 2 shows, the Tinley Park Golf Expo, on a rainy Sunday morning and was surprised at the sizable attendance.  This show had a distinct south side flavor, as there was hardly a course north of I-55 present.  South Side staples such as Cog Hill, Gleneagles, Lincoln Oaks, Balmoral Woods, Broken Arrow and The Odyssey were there, along with several private clubs looking to expand their membership, including Joliet, Lincolnshire, Flossmoor and Midlothian.   Golf destinations were also well represented, including a young lady from the state of Mississippi who proudly disclosed that there were 170 courses available to play.  When I informed her that there were over 200 public courses in Chicago alone, she responded "Where do the put them all?"  Welcome to the big city, darlin'!  I also found out that the Pete Dye course at the Resorts at French Lick (famous as the home of Larry Bird) stretches to over 8,000 yards from the back tees, and can be played for a bargain price of $350.  I think I'll take a pass for now...

The Chicago Golf Show in Rosemont last weekend was awash with cabin fevered Chicagoans itching to get back on the links.  Several of the WCPGG's favorite courses had booths, including Blackstone, Cantigny and Village Links of Glen Ellyn, where a new clubhouse will be unveiled in a few months.  I also spent some quality time talking to the reps from Fox Run, where designer Greg Martin (Coyote Run, Whitetail Ridge) has recently completed an overhaul of this Elk Grove municipal.  Hall of Fame golfer Lanny Wadkins was in attendance to promote the return of a Champions (Seniors) tour event to the Windy City (at the very private North Shore Country Club), and I was able to score an autographed picture to add to my sports wall in the downstairs man cave.  The biggest difference between the two shows was the volume of out of state resorts, as the CGS had reps from as far away as Arkansas, Alabama and Texas hawking the attributes of their golf experiences, joining just about every course in the state of Michigan. 

Overall, both shows were well worth the $10 entrance fee, but the free parking in Tinley was a welcome perk compared to the $13 charge in Rosemont.  Although snow still covers the frozen turf in the Windy City, the annual golf shows are the perfect reminder that the golf season is right around the corner!  See you all on the links soon...   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z