Jan 20, 2013

Thoughts on the 2012 Golf Season

I played over 800 holes of golf in 2012, stretching from March to December; not nearly enough in my view, but way too many according to my wife!  But almost every round was well worth the time, as being outdoors enjoying a great game is always a win in my world.  Of the bakers dozen courses I set my sights on playing at the beginning of the year, I did not get to 5 (Thunderhawk, Oak Grove, Sunset Valley, Ravisloe, Glen Club), while I played one-third of the 27 holes at Schaumburg.  Here's my quick thoughts on the best tracks I did play last year and other miscellaneous musings:

Cantigny (Wheaton) - Any year I play Cantigny, it will always rank at the top of my list.  Three equally beautiful, challenging 9's await, traditional parkland with some prairie links elements interspersed throughout.  Although the triple digit price tag may hinder those on a budget, deep Senior and Military discounts are available, and a Groupon special may appear once in a while.

Blackstone (Marengo) - Semi-private newcomer on the northwest edge of Chicagoland has great variety, as the course transitions from prairie to woods on each nine.  Several carries over marshland provide challenge, along with super quick, sloping greens.  Well worth the drive, with enticing twilight rates near $50 w/cart a bargain.

Steeple Chase (Mundelein) - This Park District course is top notch, with huge sand traps and 2 large lakes providing memorable focal points.  The 18th hole is a make or break par 5 full of peril that is a great finisher. The 3 pm twilight rate and 55 and over Senior discount are deals for north suburban golfers.  

Bowes Creek (Elgin) - This new, semi-private track pairs with The Highlands to make Elgin a destination for serious golfers. The front 9 is fairly flat with lots of water, while the back runs through woods and around ridges, but the menacing bunkers fringed with thick prairie grass are everywhere. All day rate includes replays and may take the sting out of the near $100 green fees.

 
Balmoral Woods (Crete) - Hilly, heavily wooded classic in the far south suburbs is an old favorite.  The 7th hole is one of the best par 5's you'll find anywhere.  A little ragged at times over the years, the course was in prime condition on my visit last summer.  Top rate in the low $60's is at the top end for this region, but still a very fair price.

Makray Memorial (Barrington) - The remake of the old Thunderbird GC is a winner, with plenty of deep bunkers, narrow greens and wetlands ratcheting up the required shot making skills.  One of a handful of $90+ courses, the $46 twilight rate and spring and fall reduced fees are options for frugal golfers like myself.

Other favorites from 2012 included Cog Hill #2 (Lemont), Whitetail Ridge (Yorkville), Fox Bend (Oswego), Blackberry Oaks (Bristol), Old Oak (Homer Glen), Old Orchard (Mt. Prospect), Sanctuary (New Lenox), Silver Lake South (Orland Park), Hughes Creek (Elburn) and Highland Woods (Hoffman Estates), where I carded my best round of the year, 14 over par.

Special Mention on my top courses list goes to Crystal Tree in Orland Park, one of the two private clubs (along with Cress Creek in Naperville) that I was invited to play in 2012.  Crystal Tree is a beautiful Robert Trent Jones Jr. layout that featured my worst round (too embarassed to say), a bit tricky for a non-member to score well on the first pass through, but at least I enjoyed the scenery.

The one round I regret playing in 2012 was at Villa Olivia, which was ravaged by a serious turf problem and overall neglect that caught me by surprise.  The Bartlett Park District has purchased the course and has totally renovated the banquet facility, and the course itself is due for a makeover in 2013.  From what I experienced, they have a tall task ahead of them.

My best shot of the year (there weren't too many) was on the par five 6th hole at Blackberry Oaks, where I found myself directly behind a tree on my 3rd shot about 80 yards from the green after pulling a 4 wood into the left rough.  I chopped a 5 iron around the tree and onto the green, then rolled in a downhill 40 footer right in the heart for an unexpected (and ugly) birdie.

Best after golf meals included Emil's Sports Bar in Mundelein (after Steeple Chase), where the barbeque pulled pork sandwich cooked in the onsite smoker was excellent, and The Bristol Tap (after Blackberry Oaks), with the trademark Bristol burger and the Sprecher's Root Beer on tap being a fitting finish to a late season round.

The 2013 season is right around the corner, and I'm looking forward to another 800 holes (at least!) of golf and providing an honest view of public golf in the Windy City through the eyes of an average golfer.  See you on the links...

Mr Z






No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z