May 16, 2012

Mr Z's Course Play List for 2012

The 2012 golf season is in full swing, and although I've played a lot of courses in the Windy City area, there are still plenty more that are on my wish list this year that I either haven't played before, or I'm due for a return visit.  I've already checked one course (Makray Memorial) off my list, but here's another dozen (in no particular order) that, for a variety of reasons, I plan to tee it up in the next few months:

* Steeple Chase (Mundelein / North) - Ken Killian design comes highly recommended from my north side golfing buddy; I plan on taking advantage of the reduced 3 pm twilight or 55+ Senior rate.

* Thunderhawk (Beach Park / Far North) - The jewel of the Lake County Forest Preserve Courses, this Robert Trent Jones Jr. layout straddles the Wisconsin border, but I've heard it's worth the drive.

* Balmoral Woods (Crete / Far South) - Rugged, hilly, heavily wooded track in the far south suburbs is loaded with good holes.  Old favorite of mine that I'm overdue to revisit.

* Schaumburg (Schaumburg / Northwest) - 27 hole facility off Roselle Road was built in 1928 and was recently renovated by Bob Lohmann.  I plan on taking advantage of the $38 w/cart special after Noon on Mondays.

* Cog Hill #2 (Lemont / Southwest) - The easier (much) alternative to Dubsdread shares the same topography and conditions but at half the price.  Features several dramatic par 3's over ravines.  Rate drops to just over $40 w/cart after 3 pm.

* Bowes Creek (Elgin / Far West) - Pricey, upscale newcomer teams with The Highlands to give Elgin 2 highly rated courses.  "Member for a Day" price includes green fees, cart and practice facility.

* Oak Grove (Harvard / Far Northwest) - GolfVisions property ranked 4-1/2 stars by Golf Digest, Audabon registered.  Plenty of discounts available online.

* Sunset Valley (Highland Park / North) - Park district course has bent grass fairways and some of the lowest rates on the north shore, which always attracts my attention.

* Blackstone (Marengo / Far Northwest) - Semi-Private club looks great on the website, a friend whose opinion I value said I'd like it.

* Ravisloe (Homewood / South) - Classic private club dating to 1901 recently opened to the public, features distinctive bunkering and thousands of mature trees.  Reduced rates for 2012 enhances value.

* Longwood (Crete / Far South) - Old school course (no website) hidden near the Indiana border was one of my uncle's favorites back in the day.  I haven't played there in over 20 years, but what I recall is a hilly, heavily wooded, somewhat quirky par 70 track.

* Glen Club (Glenview / Near North) - I have to see what a $200 course (most expensive in Chicagoland) is like, although the $123 twilight rate is the preferred route for my limited budget.

If you have any others that you think I should add to my list, please use the comments and let me know, I'm always looking for a round at a good course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z