Feb 27, 2012

Thoughts on the 2012 Chicago Golf Show

A kid in a candy store is the best way I can describe myself as I wandered around the Chicago Golf Show in Rosemont on Friday afternoon.  What struck me more than anything was the number of resorts and golf destinations that had set up shop there, including representatives from the Dominican Republic, not the 1st place I think of for a golf getaway!  The ladies from Alabama painted a pretty picture of the benefits of the courses in their state, including the famed Robert Trent Jones Trail, plus I'm a sucker for a syrupy sweet southern accent so I can see myself taking a road trip south in the future (and I can knock another state off my "never been to" list).

Looking for deals is one of my pasttimes, and there were plenty to be found from the several vendors hawking their wares.  Rock Bottom Golf was a major player this year (I bought my Hogan irons from them online 2 years ago), and 2nd Swing had some super low prices on golf shirts and hats, but I showed amazing self restraint and limited my purchases to 2 dozen yellow Wilson Staff 50/50 golf balls from Cam Golf.

I made sure I stopped by and visited each and every local course that was at the show, and special thanks to Bittersweet for the free round they gave me for curling in a 5 footer on the putting mat.  I told the reps from Shepherds Crook that I will make it up there for sure this year, although the 80 mile drive from my home in Lemont (and the 80 courses I'll pass on the way there) is always an obstacle.  Mistwood had a video highlighting the changes that $6 million will buy, and the 3rd hole looks spectacular, but I'll be having nightmares thinking about how to escape one of the several sod walled bunkers that have been added.  Projected opening is June 1st, so expect a fresh review from Mr Z soon after.

The big discounted greens fee sites (GolfNow, EZ Links) were there, joined by a start up called back9booking.com which plans not to charge a processing fee, and the usual mix of chiropractors, physical therapists, golf leagues and financial planners out to drum up some business also made appearances.  And of course all were welcome to sample the latest clubs from the major manufacturers, but I took a pass as a muscle strain was inevitable after 3 months of golfing inactivity.

At under $20 for entrance and parking, plus a free round (well, almost free, have to pay for the cart) at the GolfVisions course of your choice, the golf show was the perfect tonic to get ready for the upcoming season, which should be here sooner than normal after the spectacularly mild winter!  See you all on the links soon...

Mr Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z