Sep 25, 2011

Cog Hill #1 - Lemont

I recently made the 5 minute drive from my home over to Cog Hill to reaquaint with an old friend, the #1 course, and a flood of memories came pouring forward.  I ventured out to Lemont from Oak Lawn many times back in my youth, and I knew course 1 and its intertwined twin, course 3, like the back of my hand.  Filling in for my parents friend Bud's foursome at the break of dawn on a Sunday morning with 2 hours sleep is something I'll never forget!  (I was usually back in bed by 11, those "old" guys played fast...)
Little has changed over the years at course 1.  It's still a manageable 6,300 yards / par 71 from the back tees, with wide tree lined fairways and large, undulating greens.  The 30 + bunkers seemed updated, a bit deeper and more imaginative from what I remembered, but there is still unimpeded access between and around them to most all of the greens.  Although course 1's layout has little in common with its famous sibling, Dubsdread, the conditions were impeccable, a clear sign that the same attention to detail is provided to all 4 courses, regardless of reputation or greens fee.

The longest hole on the course is the 1st, a straight away 490 yard par 5 (and one of the easier pars on the front side), and is followed by 2 good par 4's with a creek in play near the green on both.  The shortest and lengthiest par 3's are also on the front: the 4th hole is a scenic 130 yarder, well bunkered and surrounded by large oaks, and the 8th hole is a "Dubs" worthy 235 yards, downhill with 2 large traps left protecting the sloping green. 

The back nine plays to a par of 35, with the only par 5 the short (483 yards) dogleg right 13th hole.  A large fairway bunker and woods protect the right side, but a well placed drive would allow a green light to reach in 2 with only another trap guarding the right side of the green.  (The third par 5 is the 6th, only 480 yards but with a bend left, then back to the right near the severely back to front sloped green.)  The other highlights are the 15th and 16th holes, two legitimate 400 yarders.  The former runs straight up a hill with OB left, then flattens out the last 75 yards, but a blind approach makes this one of the hardest  
holes on the course, despite its #8 handicap.  The latter requires a blind drive over a ridge with OB again on the left, and 5 bunkers (2 on the right about 50 yards short of, the balance surrounding, the green) in play.  The rounds ends with a short uphill par 4 featuring a huge tree to the right that hangs out over the fairway and will swat away approaches that are ever so slightly off line.

I had one of my best rounds ever at
course #1 about 25 years ago, and the 69.7 / 118 rating indicates that this course will not beat you into submission (that is left to course #4, and to a lesser extent course #2).  But the greens are big, slick and severely sloped and will challenge those not so adept with the flat stick, as to my dismay our 4 man scramble team on my recent visit had a 3 putt bogey on the enormous 17th green (ouch!!!).  But what this course is all about is a fun round on a manicured layout that is not cluttered with backyards and street crossings.
Being the ultimate bargain hunter, I've tended to overlook Cog Hill because you will never find a coupon or discounted rate here.  But at a top fee of $61 w/cart on weekends and twilight rates at 3 under $40,
it's not that severe of a hit to the pocketbook, and you can walk up the stairs left of the 17th hole and catch a glimpse of the 15th green and 16th tee of Dubsdread if you are so inclined.  Now that I have reconnected with my old friend, I'll do my best to make my next visit a bit sooner.

Mr Z Rating

Layout (20%) - 7.5
Playability (20%) - 8
Conditioning (15%) - 9
Aesthetics (15%) - 7
Amenities (10%) - 8.5
Value (20%) - 8


Total Score - 79.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z