Aug 26, 2011

Cary Country Club

I l made my 1st visit to the Cary Country Club (http://www.carycountryclub.com/) recently, which is tucked away just outside downtown Cary.  The course advertises itself as "A Slice of Galena in your own Backyard', and although I don't think many will confuse CCC with the tracks at Eagle Ridge, there is plenty of elevation change drama to rival most any layout in the Windy City area. (Holes #'s 5 and 11 are so steep that I would have needed a mule to make it up to the green if not for the riding cart!).

This is an old course, opened back in the 1920's, and it still carries some of the traits from this era, such as the smallish greens and modest bunkering.  And at a bit over 6,100 yards from the back tees, it is severely distanced challenged for a par 72 course.  The green of a 293 yard par 4 from a tee perched high above the fairway (#3) may have been safe back in the day, but that green is now imminently reachable for some with today's technology.  There are four other par 4's in the 295-325 yard range at CCC, but they're not really legitimate "on in 1" opportunities, as 2 are doglegs with the green out of sight from the tee and large trees blocking the turn (#'s 8 and 15, 2 of my favorites holes), another is the 11th, which goes (almost) straight up the last 120 yards and plays much longer than listed, and the other (the 325 yard 2nd hole) requiring a precise drive through a narrow opening between large trees from the back tee, and it's probably just a bit too long to reach.  (Maybe with the wind behind you...)

Three of the 4 par 5's are under 500 yards,
but all are visually appealing from the tee.  The 1st hole has a large hill covered with prairie grass to the left that will grab any shots in that direction, and the 486 yard 7th is the #1 handicap on the front, as the fairway weaves between mounds and prairie to a steady climb to the green, with trees and high grass tight behind.  The tee to the 13th hole is tucked behind a grassy knoll, with OB left and the prairie extending right for 200+ yards.  The fairway stretches out below the tee and the green is raised with a bunker at either side.  And the 9th hole, the longest at 539 yards (the front side plays to a par 37, the back is 35), has
another drive from elevation and a green tightly surrounded by a variety of evergreens and trees.

The best of the par 3's is #14, a 180 yard downhill shot through trees to a small green with a creek cutting diagonally in front (the 1st hint of a water hazard on the course).  The 6th and 12th holes are also from elevated tees, and both had me second guessing my club selection to account for the drop. 

Cary CC carries a 69 / 119 rating / slope, and as this would indicate, is not an overly difficult track, as the 30 or so sand traps are mildly penal, only 3 holes feature water, and the tree lined fairways are wide (although the 400 yard 17th is surprisingly tight, with a rare fairway bunker to the left).  But the rough was thick the day I played, several of the greens (5, 8, & 13 come to mind) had some nasty slope to them, and you will have a number of shots with the ball above or below your feet, never an easy shot for the higher handicapper.  The overall course conditions were average, but I do need to mention that
the bunkers were fantastic, among the best I've had the pleasure of playing this year.

There were a couple of features at CCC that enhanced my visit:  the absence of homes on the course is always a plus, the ball washer / club cleaner on the cart came in handy, and the 3 flavors of Tradewinds Iced Tea (Raspberry, Green w/honey, Sweet) on the beverage cart deserves a big thumbs up.  I must admit, however, that during the round I kept
thinking what a fantastic course this could be with a few more strategically placed traps and water hazards (I'm sure any course architect would be thrilled to work with this kind of topography.)  But as it is, Cary Country Club still provides a fun, scenic round at a reasonable price ($57 top green fee) for all skill levels.

Last Note - Make sure you have good directions, this course is not easy to find!!

Mr Z Rating

Layout (20%) - 7
Playability (20%) - 7.5
Conditioning (15%) - 6.5
Aesthetics (15%) - 8.5
Amenities (10%) - 6.5
Value (20%) -8


Total Score - 74







No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z