Oct 7, 2010

Arrowhead GC - Wheaton

The 1st thing you notice when you turn off Butterfield Road into the parking lot of Arrowhead Golf Club (http://www.arrowheadgolfclub.org/) in Wheaton is the sparkling combination banquet hall/sports bar/clubhouse that was built several years ago at a cost of many millions of dollars (16, I was told by a reliable source).  The 3 nine hole courses (East, West, South) hidden behind have gone through an extensive redesign over the last decade, and what was recreated is a gem of a layout, a scenic, wooded parkland style course that is a ton of fun to play.

All 3 nines are used in the 18 hole rotation, with the South 9 almost always used as the front side and the East or West switched out for the back depending on the day, with the other used for 9 hole rounds.  The last few times I’ve played at Arrowhead the East nine has been used, but I have played the West course in the past, and all 3 nines are equally good in their own unique way.  The South course features rolling hills and water on 4 holes, while the East course has a similar feel but with more elevation change.  The West course is less hilly but is more heavily wooded and features the quasi island par 3 that seems to be a feature of many courses nowadays.

The South course has arguably the most dramatic hole on the property, as #3 is a short dogleg left par 4 with a blind tee shot and an approach straight downhill to a large green guarded by a pond front left, several bunkers right and thick woods behind.  Both par 3’s are winners; #4 is all carry over the pond to a wide, shallow green, and #6 is over 200 yards with forest on the right and water/wetlands left with a huge sand “beach” next to the hazard.  The hardest par is #5, an uphill 440 yarder with wild flowers framing the view off the tee, a tough hole to reach in regulation if into the wind.  The par 5 8th hole has a deep bunker about 120 yards from the pin that will obstruct the view of the green if too far to the right, and the 9th hole finishes the front with a flourish, a downhill par 4 with water on the right near the green, and the clubhouse providing the background and a great photo-op.

The East course starts with one of the toughest par 5’s, a narrow ribbon of fairway between water right and woods left that will test your accuracy all the way to the green.  I really liked the 2nd hole, a good par 4 with water and native grasses protecting the entire right side.  #4 & #5 are both tough, scenic par 4’s, 420 and 440 yards respectively, with the back to front tilted green on 4 surrounded by an amphitheatre of trees, and 5 featuring a drive from an elevated tee with a large tree to the left that will come into play if you’re not careful (I unfortunately found this out first hand).  The 6th hole is a short, uphill par 5 that is reachable in two, but the green is tucked behind a huge tree that provides a significant obstacle.  The only hole that I felt remotely uncomfortable with is #9, where the water on the left is closer than it appears and you might be surprised when your drive goes through the fairway and into the hazard.


I am least familiar with the West course, but the holes that stand out in my memory are #3, at 300 yards the shortest par 4 on the 3 nines, but with a 2nd shot all carry over a pond; #6, a tight, tree lined 550 yard par 5; and #7, a 170 yard par 3 surrounded by water.

Arrowhead is several miles to the west of the Village Links of Glen Ellyn, and has many of the same features as that course, right down to the $77 green fee.  Wheaton Park District residents get a significant discount, and if I lived there I would definitely be a regular.  The fairways were in great condition for late in the season, and the greens played firm and fast but a bit bumpy (if only people would fix their ball marks!).  The only negative I found were the sand traps, which are sub standard by any measure, but particularly for a course that charges over $70 (the plan I heard is to restructure all the traps over the next 3 years, can’t happen soon enough).  But overall, this is a classic parkland course loaded with views, a very fair but challenging test (6,700 yds/72.5 rating/132 slope) for all levels of players, and without a home anywhere near the course (as mentioned on the Arrowhead web site), always a plus in my world.  With the fall rates under $50 w GPS equipped cart, I’d have Arrowhead on my short list of courses to play before the end of the season.

 
Mr Z Rating

Layout (20%) - 9 
Playability (20%) - 8.5
Conditioning (15%) - 8
Aesthetics (15%) - 8.5
Amenities (10%) - 8.5
Value (20%) -7.5

Total Score - 83.25



No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z