Apr 30, 2010

Arboretum GC - Buffalo Grove

The Arboretum Golf Club in Buffalo Grove is a beautiful par 72 track on Half Day Road, just east of Buffalo Grove Rd. It’s name is appropriate, as there are a variety of trees that frame the course (ornamental trees in full bloom was an extra bonus to playing in April). Besides the woods, the overwhelming feature on the course is water, with ponds and creeks in every direction to maneuver around on all but a few holes. Despite playing to under 6,500 yards from the back of 3 sets of tees, the course carries a monstrous slope of 137 (133 from the middle). The course was designed by Dick Nugent (who it seems worked on about half the courses in Chicago), and although I wouldn't consider it in the same group as George Dunne or Heritage Bluffs, it is still an above average layout.

The front 9 has a few rolling hills but is mostly flat, and the holes are fairly tight to one another. The homes that border the perimeter of the course are a little too close for my comfort level in a few spots, but you’ll have to work your way through enough trees that the damage should be minimized by the time the ball hits. The back nine is on the other side of the road and is accessed by an underground tunnel, and the topography becomes significantly more dramatic and the holes are a bit more spread out. But both sides require you to use your head to avoid the trouble, as driver off the tee may not be the preferred way to play most of the par 4’s and 5’s. (There are only 2 par 4’s over 400 yards on the entire course.) My golfing partner referred to it as a “shotmaker’s course”, which I think is an accurate description. A perfect example is the 2nd hole, a 506 yard par 5. The tee shot is tight with ponds on the right and trees and out of bounds left on the 1st 2 shots. A big drive down the middle will set you up to reach the green in 2 and birdie, but you’ll be staring at bogey or worse if less than perfect off the tee.

There are several tricky little par 4’s, starting with #4, a slight dogleg right with the approach over a pond to a wide green; ball placement off the tee is key to get the ball close to the pin. (This is the 1st of at least 6 holes that you’ll have to carry a sizable body of water to get to the green.) The next hole is the toughest par 3, 207 yards with OB left and water short and right, and a long, heavily bunkered green. And #7 is another par 3 over water, with a 3 tiered green thrown in for a little more drama.

The 11th hole was my favorite, a par 5 through a tunnel of trees with a creek (out of view from the tee) at about 270 yards, then slightly uphill to the green, a great looking hole. The 13th and 15th holes are both short par 4 doglegs right with water fronting the green, and #14 is another par 3 that, yes, is over a pond. The 16th is a good par 5 with the drive over a creek, and the final hole is a tough par 4 with water the entire right side and 2 fairway bunkers to work around on the way to the pin.

The course had begun their regular greens fees earlier in the week, which was a bit disappointing considering that the 1st and 5th greens were shaggy and almost unplayable (severe winter ice damage), and a fairway bunker on the 13th was nothing more than a hole with dirt. (My friend assured me that this was the exception and that the conditions would be much better in a few weeks.) The best value is the 2 pm weekday rate of $45 ride/$27 walk, and the layout is compact enough to easily walk if you prefer (except for the distance between the nines). So although I really liked the course, the top weekend rate of $80 w/cart ($62 after 2 pm) would definitely have me looking for a deal before making a return trip.

Mr Z Rating

Layout - 8
Playability - 7
Conditioning - 7
Aesthetics - 7.5
Amenities - 7
Value - 6.5

Total Score - 72

1 comment:

  1. Arboretum has dropped the top weekend rate to $73, I guess they must have read my review...MrZ

    ReplyDelete

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z