Mar 13, 2010

Deer Creek Golf Course - Park Forest

Growing up in the 70’s & 80’s in the south suburbs, Deer Creek Golf Course (deercreekgolfcourse.com) in Park Forest was a staple of my golf world. Opened in 1971, it was a bit immature back then, the trees really nothing more than twigs. I lost contact with Deer Creek as more and more courses were built closer to home, but I’ve rediscovered it in recent years, and found that the twigs are now grown and Deer Creek still provides a fun round of golf and a great value, too.

The course is typical of the former corn field that it once was, not a lot of “wow” factor in the form of elevation changes, but enough rolling hills to make for some interest. The front nine is highlighted by 2 really good par 3’s. The 4th green is bowl shaped and is surrounded by 4 huge bunkers, with trees behind the green forming a nice background, and the 8th hole is downhill with water fronting the wide, multi-tiered green, and bunkers beyond, making for an imposing shot back should you be unfortunate enough to find one. But the best hole on the front is probably #7, a sharp dogleg left par 5. A pond that is barely visible off the tee protects the dogleg, and if you avoid the water but are a bit too far left, there are willow trees that you’ll have to contend with on the next shot. A perfectly placed tee shot will allow the chance to reach the large, tilted green in 2.

The back nine features 2 solid par 5’s, the 12th hole with an approach shot over a large bunker, and the 15th, a long par 5 that weaves through the grown up trees to a left turn near the bunkered green (the website says there are 55 sand traps, and that sounds about right, there are quite a few scattered through the course). This is by far the prettiest hole on the course, and begins a tough finishing stretch to end the round. 16 is a long (440 yards from the back tees), slightly uphill par 4 that normally plays into the wind, with water running the length of the right side, 17 is a 200 yard par 3 with water on the right and a two tiered green that will make putting an adventure if you are in the wrong spot. And 18 is the classic risk/reward hole, a dogleg right over a pond that is begging the bigger hitters to cut off as much as they dare. However, anything hit through the fairway will be bouncing around in the parking lot.


There is one unique feature of Deer Creek that I need to mention. It is the only course that I can think of around Chicago that has high tension wires running through the middle of a fairway (#14). Local rules say if you hit the wires, you get a do over, which I’ve had to use at least once before.


Deer Creek is not the easiest course to get to as it is not near any major highways, but it is fairly easy to find (on Western Avenue about 5 miles south of Route 30). So although I wouldn’t recommend this as a destination course for someone living in Schaumburg, at a top weekend rate of $49 w/cart, plus $41 after 11 am and $31 after 2 pm, plus online specials, Deer Creek is high on my value list for south suburban golfers. What you’ll get for your money is a no frills public course that is kept in good condition and has several good holes sprinkled in and enough challenge to keep your interest. I’m glad I’ve found it again.


Mr Z Rating


Layout – 7
Playability – 7.5
Conditioning – 7
Aesthetics – 5.5
Amenites – 7
Value – 9


Total Score - 72.75

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z