Feb 20, 2010

Klein Creek Golf Club - Winfield

Klein Creek (www.kleincreek.com) is a crazy quilt of 18 holes that weaves in and out and all around a sub-division in Winfield. I need to state that I am fundamentally opposed to courses of this style, but there are some that I like (Lincoln Oaks in Crete and Tamarack comes to mind). But Klein Creek takes this concept to an unfortunate and unsatisfying extreme. The well respected Dick Nugent designed this course, but Mr. Nugent would be better off highlighting Heritage Bluffs and George Dunne on his resume instead of this effort.

That is not to say that there are not some very fine holes on this course. #2 is a long par 4 with trees and out of bounds to the left and water on the right, you’ll need two strong shots to reach this green in regulation. #11 is a par 5 that starts with a drive from a slightly elevated tee to a rolling fairway dotted with sand traps, a well laid out hole. And #5 is a very tight par 4 through a chute of trees with out of bounds to the left and a 2nd shot over a pond to the green. But this hole represents one of the fundamental problems with the course. The 4th green (a par 3) is located approximately where a 200 yard sliced tee shot is going to land, and although there are large evergreens protecting golfers on the green, it also blocks out the view from the 5th tee. Just about every single time I have played here, a tee shot from my foursome has ended up either on the 4th green or in a bunker around the green. This may be an indication of badly executed shots, but I tend to lean more towards 2 poorly laid out holes.

The 9th hole is the “signature” hole, a long par 4 dogleg right with a pond at the bend. However, there is another pond over a ridge waiting to gobble up shots that are hit through the dogleg, which is out of view on both the tee shot and 2nd shot. (Another pet peeve, blind shots with hazards.) The four par 3’s are interesting (#8 is my favorite), and the 17th is unique in that the green is totally surrounded by an enormous bunker, with water to the right ready to swallow any skulled sand shots; but also an example of a course trying a bit too hard to be different.

Don’t even think about walking this course, the distance from green to tee are the length of a par 5 on several holes, notably after the 7th and 12th. The course has always been in good condition, but with a max price tag of close to $90, that should be expected. No driving range on the grounds also doesn’t help the overall experience (but the hot dogs and burgers at the half way house are excellent!).

I would summarize my relationship with Klein Creek as classic love / hate. It is an extremely challenging course (especially for a higher handicapper like myself) and I like challenges, but when I’m done I always say to myself “Why did I just do that, I don’t really like this course”. I have always played Klein Creek at twilight or with a Players Pass discount, but there is no way in the world that I would play here at full price. If you want to part with a Ben Franklin, pony up another $10 and go down the street to Cantigny, or save a few $$$’s and go to Arrowhead, it will be money better spent.

Mr Z Rating

Layout – 5
Playability – 5.5
Conditioning – 8.5
Aesthetics – 7.5
Amenites – 7
Value – 6

Total Score - 64

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z