Nov 30, 2022

1 MINUTE READ - BONNIE DUNDEE


 BONNIE DUNDEE
 BY THE NUMBERS

  • 270 Kennedy Drive, Carpentersville    847-426-5511
  • YARDAGE - 3 Tees - 6,047 / 4,899 yds Par 70
  • SLOPE/RATING - 68.8/118 - 63.6/105 (M) 74.6/130 - 68.3/117 (W)
  • MAXIMUM GREEN FEES - $45 M-F, $55 SA-SU (W/CART) 
  • bonniedundeegc.com


1 MINUTE READ

Bonnie Dundee has been around since 1924, but it took an end-of-the-2022-season visit to play my first ever round there.  The course is part of the Dundee Township Park District along with Randall Oaks and is the sportier option compared to the beefier stablemate 5 miles to the west.  

Though Bonnie Dundee tops out at just over 6,000 yards and has a relatively benign Slope/Rating, I did not feel that this was an easy course. Almost every green was flanked by sand traps and the putting surfaces had some subtle breaks that helped protect par.  The tee shot over a pond on the par 3 6th hole is

the only water hazard. There are three par 4's over 400 yards and the 1 true par 5, the 530 yard 13th hole, is a stout test, especially if into the wind.  (The 18th hole is listed as a par 5 on the scorecard, but at only 425 yards we'll call it a par 4-1/2).

But it's the shorter par 4's that provide much of the interest.  The 17th (300 yds) was one of the best par 4's I played this year, a drive down into a mini valley with an uphill approach into a terrific green complex, with 3 bunkers tight to the severely back to front sloping green.  The 334 yd 3rd hole is a dogleg left with a blind drive over a grass bunker, which are used liberally in place of sand traps in the fairways at Bonnie Dundee.  And the 15th is
downhill and only 285 yds, a drivable par 4 for bigger hitters, but one of the largest traps guards the right side of the green.

The layout is nicely spaced with a variety of good holes and the fairways, greens and sand traps where in fine condition, which I was told was a significant improvement over previous years.  I learned a long time ago that a course doesn't have to be hard to be good, and Bonnie Dundee perfectly fits this adage.

LOST BALL QUOTIENT - Low - With only one water hazard, the main way to lose a ball are the out of bounds on the 2nd, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 17th holes

HIT A HOUSE FACTOR
 - Very Unlikely. The only houses bordering the course are along the left side of the 12th hole but not at all in play, but a passing car on Route 25 or Route 68 could be a target on a really bad shot.

WALKER FRIENDLY RATING (0-10) - 8.  The green to tee distance is insignificant except for the walk to the 17th tee box, but a few climbs on the north end of the property lower the rating a notch.

FINAL VERDICT - Bonnie Dundee is a fun play for northwest suburban golfers that has some challenges for all skill levels.  My 2nd visit will be sooner rather than later.

CLICK HERE to view the complete Photo Tour of Bonnie Dundee...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z