May 30, 2021

1 MINUTE READ - PRAIRIE BLUFF


PRAIRIE BLUFF BY THE NUMBERS

YARDAGE - 5 TEES - 7,007 / 5,326 PAR 72
SLOPE/RATING - 73.5/129 - 66.2/112 (MEN), 74.8/126 - 70.8/118 (WOMEN)
MAXIMUM GREEN FEES - $56 M-F, $69 SA-SU (W/CART) 

1 MINUTE READ

Prairie Bluff is a big course.  Big fairways, big greens, big views, all spread across 230 acres of rolling terrain at the southwest corner of Route 53 and Renwick Road in Crest Hill.  The course opened in 1988, the collaboration of architect Roger Packard and U.S. Open champion Andy North.  A prairie links layout, trees are


largely absent and native grasses form the borders of most fairways, a stunning sight waving on windy days.

A ridge runs through the middle of the course that lends some moderate slopes, especially on the par four 7th and par five 15th, which tops out at a hefty 609 yards from the Gold tees.  The 14th hole is the tightest drive with a lake left and marshland right, but there is room off the tee on most holes.  The 9th and 18th holes, both par 4's, wrap around each side of a pond on the return to the clubhouse for a challenging finish to each nine. 

An expansive 10 acre driving range and practice area lies just past the 1st hole and the on site restaurant has a full menu and a covered patio to enjoy an after round drink.


LOST BALL QUOTIENT
- Medium.  Water on 7 holes but thick prairie grasses swallow wayward shots, especially when the wind is howling.
HIT A HOUSE FACTOR - Zero,  The closest structure is the Stateville Correctional Center a mile to the south.
WALKER FRIENDLY RATING (0-10) - 6. Moderately hilly and lack of significant shade an issue on hot summer days.
FINAL VERDICT - Fun, playable course at a reasonable greens fee is definitely worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am a life long Chicagoan and an avid golfer (or as much as my wife will let me!). And I am also a closet journalist who needed an outlet, so I decided to write reviews of the golf courses that I've played over the years in Chicago. Plus I've added detailed information on each course to help my fellow public golfers find the ones that best fits their skill level and budgets. So, read the reviews and use the comments to either give me a big "thumbs up" or tell me I'm full of crap, check out the courses and other pages, and let me know what you think... Mr Z